Weight loss equals more energy expended than calories consumed.
Everyone wants to lose weight, be it a couple of pounds or several stones. But not everyone manages it. This is mainly because they set their targets and expectations too high. You are not going to lose a stone in a month. Remember how long it took you to gain that stone? It is a very sad fact of life that people are very good at putting on the pounds but few can lose them.
Think about it, If you buy two grandé full fat lattes every day for a week, that’s 3808 calories and 126g of saturated fat – bad fat to you and me, the one that raises blood cholesterol. You only need to reduce your intake by 3500 calories to lose one pound of fat, so ditch the shop bought lattés and brew your coffee at home instead. Think of the money you’ll save too.
Increasing the amount of exercise you get is another great way of burning unwanted calories; in fact it’s the best way. You could take the stairs instead of the lift at work, especially if you work on the top floor! It’s an easy – okay, maybe not so easy a way – of burning some fat. Getting off the bus a couple of stops early and walking the rest of the way to your destination, even giving the house a spring clean can burn upwards of 150 calories an hour.
One of the easiest, stress free ways of losing those pounds though is by walking. Walking burns approximately 238 calories per hour walking at a steady pace over relatively flat ground. This is based on a 150 pound person. The heavier the person the more calories they are going to lose per hour. Hiking takes it up a notch to about 400 calories per hour but a certain level of fitness is required for that.
Let’s imagine you have never done any recreational walking before. Don’t worry, you are not alone. The majority of people would rather take the car, bus or train. Anything than have to walk the extra mile to work or carry the heavy shopping back from the supermarket. But you want to make a difference to your health. You want to lose that weight that’s been dragging you down and you can. All it takes is a little bit of will-power and a good pair of walking shoes.
You can walk anywhere at anytime. It really is that easy. Here are some tips to make your walking safe and fun.
- Do some simple stretches before starting to walk. If you haven’t used some of your muscles in a while they may get a little upset about having to work out.
- Choose a good quality pair of walking shoes. They are going to travel many miles with you and your feet will thank you for it.
- Wear layers of clothing, then if you get too hot, you can just remove a layer of clothing. Remember to put the layers back on when you stop to avoid cooling down too quickly.
- Take a light rain coat with you if walking outside. The weather can be unpredictable at times.
- Carry a bottle of water and take frequent sips to avoid dehydration. This helps your muscles work more efficiently too.
- Find a route that will interest you. If you live near the countryside there are many recognized walking routes to be found. This way you wont become bored and give up.
- If you don’t have an outdoor walking place that you can visit, then go to your local mall. Many malls run mallercise classes, where you can walk around the mall with like minded individuals before the stores open. This is a great way to make new friends and find a walking partner.
- Try to aim for 10,000 steps a day. This will burn approximately 300 to 400 calories. It soon adds up.
- Buy a pedometer and where it every day, all day. It’s great motivation to see your steps adding up as you go about your daily business.
- Walk the kids to school, take the dog for a walk or both. The kids will love spending the extra time with you.
- Try to walk further everyday and you will lose weight. But don’t think you can eat more because of all the extra walking you are doing. Remember, you are trying to cut down calories as well as upping your exercise.
Walking is the best way to get fit and lose weight. By incorporating it into your everyday life it doesn’t feel like exercise. You will be building stamina while burning those excess calories. By increasing your level of activity everyday the pounds will simply melt away. You will soon find a new zest for life as you see your new self emerge. Your heart will be healthier and your skin clearer.
There is one downside to all this though – it will cost you a fortune for your new wardrobe – but it’s so worth it!