We all love delicious pancakes for breakfast-super quick and easy to throw together! No matter if you are vegan or lactose intolerant, you should know there are ways of enjoying pancakes. It’s just a matter of changing some critical ingredients for others in the correct measure, and it’s easier than you may think.
Pancakes go beyond breakfast, though. They are fantastic in packed lunches as an alternative to ordinary sandwiches. Switch your routine up by making a sweeter pancake sandwich. And don’t forget about the occasional breakfast-for-dinner treat, as these pancakes are the perfect and easy recipe for your family “brinner” night!
These Egg and Dairy-free pancakes taste the same as dairy and egg pancakes, but the only difference is that everyone can eat them, even the ones with dairy and egg allergies. These pancakes require just a couple of ingredients, twenty minutes and one bowl! And guess what? They are soft, perfectly sweet, fluffy and buttery!
So if you are dealing with milk or egg allergy or perhaps you have run out of milk, you can still make fluffy pancakes from scratch. If your crepes batter is too thick, add a little more water, as you want it to be the same consistency as your regular pancake batter. We find that we have to add an extra tablespoon of water to thin it out.
We decided to go with the blueberries this time, so, it’s time to hit the ingredients list!
Table of Contents
Blueberry vegan pancakes
Special Diet: Vegan, dairy free
Prep time: five minutes
Cook time: thirty minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Servings: 10 pancakes
Calories: 139 kcal
Total Fat: 3.9g
Sodium: 326.9 mg
Cholesterol: 9.7 mg
Total Carbs: 23.1 g
Protein: 2.7 g
Dietary fiber: 0.7 g
● ¼ cups all-purpose flour
● One ¼ teaspoons baking soda
● Two teaspoons baking powder
● Two tablespoons granulated sugar
● ¼ teaspoon salt
● Three tablespoons sunflower oil (or any other neutral oil), plus extra for frying
● One cup oat milk (or any other milk alternative)
● One teaspoon cider vinegar
● One ¼ cup frozen blueberries
1. Heat a large skillet or griddle (preferably use cast iron) on medium-low to medium heat. Rub a bit of oil using a paper towel. Each pancake takes about eight minutes total to cook, so if you can fit only one crepe on a pan, use two pans at once to reduce the overall cooking time.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients except the blueberries in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle after that and add in all the liquid ingredients. Mix using a fork until everything comes together. The batter should be smooth, but a few lumps are just fine.
3. When the skillet is evenly pre-heated (around ten minutes if you are using cast iron), drop on a little less than ½ cup of batter in the heated pan, and after that, lightly spread it with the back of your spoon to make the round. Quickly place on about ¼ cup of blueberries in the single layer before the batter sets. Try not to put them on the edge of the pancakes, as some may roll to the side as the mixture settles. Drop on a little more batter to partly cover some of the blueberries.
4. Cook until the edges of the pancakes are starting to brown, and the surface of them have some bubbles, and a few of them have burst- about five minutes. You may have to adjust the heat to low-medium so the surface of the crepe do not burn. Keep in mind that these pancakes cook slower than other traditional pancake recipes since they do not contain any eggs and are very thick. Do not rush the cooking time by turning up the heat.
5. Once the crepes are ready, carefully flip with a spatula and cook until browned on the underside, about three to four minutes more. Transfer them to a cooling rack and cover with aluminum foil. You may want to keep them warm in the oven while you finish cooking the other crepes.
6. Continue with more oil and remaining batter. Serve with maple syrup or any other topping of choice.
These pancakes are thick, and you want to cook them in a cast iron skillet, so the insides of them cook through before the surface of the pancake burn. Cast iron pans have high emissivity which means that the surface of the cast iron gives off a lot of heat. That means you aren’t just cooking the food touching the surface of the cast iron- you are also preparing food above the surface.
Should you try hovering your hand over a steel pan, you will notice that you can get close to the surface of it without feeling as much heat. As such, it will take longer for the insides of a pancake like this to cook, and you may need to turn down the heat, so the surface of the crepes do not burn before the insides are finished.
The pancakes work better on the small side; easier to flip.
You can replace all-purpose flour with spelt flour or whole grain flour for wholegrain goodness.
A Tip For Perfect Frying
To get a crisp pancake that isn’t oily don’t stint with the oil when you heat your pan, just pour the excess oil into a heatproof bowl before you add the batter. For the next crepe, pour the excess oil back into the pan and swirl it around to cover the entire surface. Reheat it for a few second before pouring off the excess as before. Keep a piece of towel handy to mop up any dribbles down the outside of the pan so that it does not burn.
You won’t be able to tell that these pancakes are vegan, made without milk, eggs or butter. These are incredibly thick and fluffy, and soak in just the right amount of maple syrup. You can swap out the blueberries for bananas, add in some nuts or a touch of cacao powder.
For these easy-made and versatile recipe, we opted to use more efficiently digestible and lighter ingredients in place of dairy products. Butter is replaced with oil while milk is replaced with water. That way, we can enjoy lighter, delicious crepes without losing any of their excellent flavors.
These pancakes have a lot of healthy qualities- you can make them with whole grains which will add heart-healthy filling fiber. Besides blueberries, you can add extra healthy toppings, like fruit to boost vitamins and fiber.
You can also add protein-packed nuts to transform the pancakes into a nutritional breakfast that will help you stay full through the morning. Enjoy this fantastic dessert without consuming any unwanted fat- eat clean and stay healthy!
For questions and suggestions, let us know in the comments sections below.
If you like this post, feel free to share it.