Ripe pomegranates, roasted artichokes, crunchy chickpeas and toasted pine nuts are combined in a delicious and healthy winter salad.
Artichokes are a delicious vegetable with a creamy, almost buttery taste. When combined with pomegranates, spinach, crunchy chickpeas and toasted pine nuts they make for a delicious and healthy salad. This salad is bursting with flavor and a fantastic source of vitamins and antioxidants. Recipe makes four large servings or six smaller appetizer servings. Preparation time is one hour and 40 minutes.
- 2 medium sized artichokes
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can chickpeas
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups spinach
- Olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 425F or 220C.
2. Prepare the artichokes. Wash each artichoke thoroughly. Cut off the artichoke stem with a sharp knife. Cut off one inch of the top. Remove the tough outer leaves of the artichoke. Submerge the artichokes water with the juice of half a lemon. This will prevent the artichoke leaves from browning too quickly. Sprinkle the remaining lemon juice and olive oil over the top of each artichoke and push one clove of garlic down into the center of each artichoke. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap each artichoke tightly in oven foil and place stem side down on a baking dish. Roast for approximately one hour 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, roast the chickpeas. Blot chickpeas with a paper towel to dry them and toss in a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper. You may also add a spice blend such as garlic salt or lemon seasoning. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes or until slightly browned. Do not overcook.
4. Toast the pine nuts for 6-7 minutes.
5. Cut the pomegranates in half. Place a strainer over a bowl. Hold the pomegranate half cut side down in the palm of your hand and hit hard with a wooden spoon. Seeds should fall into the strainer. Remove the white pith. Retain any juice in the bowl to drizzle over the salad. Pomegranate juice can stain clothing so make sure you are wearing an apron during this step.
6. Arrange the spinach on the plate. Top with chickpeas, artichoke, pomegranate and toasted pine nuts. Drizzle with remaining pomegranate juice, lemon juice and cracked black pepper.
Tips on choosing artichokes
Choose artichokes with an even color free of dark spots. Leaves should be tightly closed and brittle. Smaller artichokes are tenderer. Do not choose artichokes with brown or dry stems.
Tips on choosing pomegranates
Choose pomegranates that are heavy with deep crimson and shiny looking skin. Do not choose pomegranates with cracked or split skin.