A crowd pleasing healthy and hearty pizza crust recipe.
Looking for a healthy and delicious pizza crust to tempt even the most ardent junk food enthusiast? Look no further. Here is a way to add a little whole-grain into one of your family’s favorite foods: pizza.
This tasty crust is relatively simple to make and uses many healthy ingredients to keep you fuller, longer.
- 25 to 45 Minutes
- This recipe makes one pizza crust.
Cooking Utensils You’ll Need:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cup for measuring liquids
- Food processor
- Wooden spoon
- Baking stone or one 9 by 9 by 2 cooking sheet for pizza crust
- Basting brush
- 2-3 cups white flour
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt or regular salt
- 1 package active dry yeast dissolved in 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (preferably olive oil.)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup old fashioned oats, finely ground in food processer
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- Olive oil (to brush on crust)
- Corn meal
- Mixed dried Italian herbs (basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, etc.)
How to Make this Whole-Grain Pizza Crust
- Begin by combining in a large mixing bowl 1 cup white flour, the ¼ teaspoon garlic salt or regular salt, 1 tablespoon honey, the 2 tablespoons of oil, and the one cup warm water with fully dissolved yeast. Mix until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Using the wooden spoon, mix in the ¼ cup whole wheat flour, ¼ cup finely ground oats, and the tablespoon of flax seed. Once these ingredients are thoroughly mixed, add as much of the remaining white flour to the dough as you can.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until the dough is pliable and elastic, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Cover and let the dough rise for 15 minutes.
- Grease cooking sheet with olive oil brush, unless you are using a cooking stone.
- Shape dough into crust, using fingers to push dough into the cooking stone or metal cooking sheet.
- Let the crust rise for 8 to 10 minutes
- Using the basting brush, brush oil onto the edge of the crust. Sprinkle corn meal and Italian herbs on the edges, if desired.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add your favorite pizza toppings and cook for 25 to 35 minutes, until crust is golden brown. Serve and enjoy!
Whole-Grain Pizza Crust Variations
You also can add a few tablespoons of your favorite Italian seasonings such as basil, oregano, thyme, or rosemary, to the dough to make a more zesty, herby crust. Just add the few tablespoons of dried herbs during step one, while you are mixing the 1 cup white flour and the wet ingredients. You also can add a few tablespoons of freshly shredded parmesan cheese at this time to make a cheesy crust.
For tasty and healthy ideas for topping you healthy, whole-grain pizza crust, see my article on Healthy and Delicious Toppings for Pizza.