This is the easiest dish to prepare and serve clam and mussel steamers. Everything is cooked in the same pot and produces a broth with a wonderful flavor.
If you love seafood like I do, this recipe for clam and mussel steamers is an all-time favorite! This time the clams and mussels bring the essential flavoring to this dish. We are going to add some additional flavors to the broth, but the clams and mussels carry this dish on their own. Let’s get started because now I’m hungry.
- 2 dozen small hard shell clams
- 2 dozen black shell mussels
- Basil – 5-6 leafs -chopped
- 1 onion – chopped
- Parsley – flat leaf – chopped
- 5-6 small tomatoes cut in half or quartered
- Red flaked pepper to your tastes
- 3 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 bottle of white wine
- 2 loaves of French bread
I like the taste of basil and parsley so be generous and save some to garnish.
- A piece of advice for this dish: make sure that the calms and mussels are cleaned and discard any open shells before you add them into the wine broth.
- Melt the butter in the pan, add the garlic and onions. Once the onions are transparent, add the wine, tomatoes, basil, parsley and red flaked pepper to the wine broth.
- Watch the broth; when it is just about to boil, add the clams and mussels, turn the heat down to low and cover the pot. You need to watch this pot because the clams and mussels will begin opening very quickly. It will take 5-10 minutes depending on the heat and the number of clams and mussels you have in the pot.
- Once they start opening, move them from the broth and set them into a serving bowl. Then go back to the pot and strain the broth into another pot so that any sediment from the clams and mussels is removed from the broth.
Recipe for Garlic Cheese Toast
I like the French bread toasted with garlic butter, sprinkled with grated Romano cheese. Slice the loaves of French bread. Mince a couple of garlic cloves, mix them with some softened butter and spread them on the French bread.
Set your oven to broil, place the slices on the tray and put the tray in the oven until the cheese is brown.
Start by placing the clams and mussels into dinner bowl and divide the broth between them. Garnish with some basil and parsley before you serve. Place the toasted French bread in a basket and use it to soak up the broth.
Don’t forget to put a large platter in the center of the table for the empty clam and mussel shells.