Red cabbage, also known as purple cabbage, is crisp, slightly sweet, and nutritious. Tickle your taste buds with this fresh, filling meal.
Why should you eat cabbage?
According to The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods, my favorite nutrition reference guide, written by Michael Murray and associates, cabbage is a “nutrient-dense, low-calorie food”. Some of its nutritional highlights include a high concentration of vitamin C, potassium, folic acid, vitamin B6, biotin, calcium, magnesium, and manganese.
Cabbage, along with other cruciferous vegetables, is also considered a cancer deterrent by the American Cancer Society. If that does not convince to give it a try, imagine the sweet crunch as you take the first bite into your curry cabbage chicken wrap. It is delightful!
Substitutions for Vegans and People with Food Allergies
- 1 cup of chicken may be replaced with 1 cup of seitan or 1 cup of tofu.
- 2 TBS Majestic Garlic Curry Garlic Spread may be replaced with 2TBS of the sauce of your choice, although this curry sauce is quite tasty!
- 2 cups of red-leaf lettuce may be replaced with 2 cups of any other lettuce, 2 cups of spinach, or 2 cups of green-leaf sprouts and/or alfalfa sprouts.
*Raw sprouts pose the risk of salmonella and E.coli. Foodsafety.gov recommends that children, the elderly, pregnant women, and people with compromised immune systems do not consume sprouts of any kind.
Turn this recipe into a salad instead of a wrap by shredding the cabbage into a bowl with the other ingredients.
Ingredients for Red Cabbage Wraps
- 2 whole leaves of purple cabbage, raw
- 2 cups or more of thinly sliced/shredded red-leaf lettuce
- 1 TBS of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (approximately) of shredded herb chicken
- 1/2 tsp of rosemary
- 1/2 tsp of thyme
- 1 dash of salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup of diced yellow onion (optional)
- 2 TBS per wrap of Majestic Garlic Curry Garlic Spread
Cook 1 large or 2 small chicken breasts in a little olive oil on the stove.
- Place a medium to large pan on the stove.
- Lightly coat the bottom of the pan with extra virgin olive oil.
- On a cutting board, cut out the majority of fat from the chicken breast.
- Place the chicken in the pan. Lightly coat the bottom side of the chicken breast with rosemary and thyme. Repeat on the top side of the chicken. Add a dash of salt on top of each breast.
- Cover pan. Cook on medium heat until the center of the chicken is cooked.
- Remove any spoiled or wilted outer leaves from the head of cabbage.
- Remove any spoiled or wilted leaves from the lettuce.
- Cut off the leaves of cabbage to be used. Be careful not to tear the leaves.
- Rinse the cabbage and lettuce.
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Set the cabbage leaves on a plate and divide the lettuce and onion between the two cabbage “bowls”.
- Shred the chicken and divide it between the two “bowls”.
- Add the curry garlic spread to each “bowl”.
- Wrap each cabbage leaf tightly around its inner contents and place two toothpicks through each wrap to hold them together.
Now eat & savor this delectable dish!