Smoothies pack a nutritional punch for breakfast. Having a balanced meal in the morning will help your body lose weight, feel better and give more energy.
Losing weight starts with eating a properly balanced meal. Unfortunately, mornings are often a time to neglect eating properly in lieu of time. Starting the day with a nutrition packed smoothie not only prepares our body.
Table of Contents
- 1 cup frozen berries or fruit
- 1/2 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1 cup juice (orange, V8 fusion or real fruit juice)
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 banana
- 32 grams (1 scoop normally) Whey Protein Powder
Mix all ingredients in a blender until smooth, enjoy!
Drinking smoothies provide a balanced meal when incorporating these ingredients. Frozen berries (raspberries, blueberries or blackberries) have great fiber content, vitamin A and C and also help provide a naturally sweet taste.
Yogurt is packed full of calcium, often containing 1 full serving in a single cup serving. Wheat germ is available in almost all grocery stores (normally near the oatmeal section). Three tablespoons provides 5 grams of fiber, making it an excellent addition to any smoothie.
Once the wheat germ has been blended you can’t taste it. Bananas are a great source of potassium, a nutrient needed for proper body function. Protein powder is available at many box-stores in North America.
Opt for the Soy Isolate variety as it provides a faster-acting formula. Protein powder is available in vanilla or chocolate. I prefer vanilla for smoothies, and chocolate for making milkshakes or a sweet treat occasionally.
- Try switching the frozen fruits for strawberries, bananas, mangos or even kiwi.
- Protein powder is not needed to make the smoothies; it simply provides a well balanced “meal”.
- If you prefer a sweeter smoothie, try mixing honey or sugar before blending.
- If you are out of juice – milk, watermelon or even a ripe chunk of cantaloupe can work instead.
- Banana and yogurt also add as a thickening agent to the smoothie, if you prefer a thinner drink try adding more juice or liquid.
- Change it up. Try mixing spinich and carrot into a smoothie for extra flavor. Cucumber is also a water-based vegetable, making it great to add in.
As with any diet program, exercise and healthy eating will help contribute to weight loss. Before beginning any exercise program it is wise to speak with your physician first, to rule out any medical problems. If you are not used to eating high fiber foods, you should gradually introduce wheat germ into the diet. It is important to keep eating the foods you love – in moderation.